Written with love, by Sarah-Elizabeth Labelle
While life is getting undoubtedly busier for all of us, we have to remember to take time for the little things. Whether you’re 6 months, 6 weeks, 6 days or 6 minutes away from getting married there are always things to get done. Taking time to have a nice dinner with your partner in all the craziness is really what it’s about.
Keeping up with life as the weather gets colder, on top of wedding planning, can make any bride stressed. That’s why for today’s recipe I’ve perfected the home style chicken dinner that fits into your schedule so you can plan the perfect wedding and enjoy the little things.
This is a quick and easy recipe that you can change up to make your very own.
· 4 chicken breasts
· 1 tablespoon of olive oil
· 1 cup of chicken stock
· 1/8 cup of margarine (or butter)
· 3-5 cloves of diced garlic
· ½ cup of chopped onion
· ½ cup of chopped celery
· ¼ cup of diced spinach
· 1 cup of carrots
· Teaspoon of basil
· Teaspoon of parsley
· Pinch of salt & pepper
1. On low heat add 1/8 cup of margarine (or if you’d like to channel your inner Julia Child, butter) and 1 cup of chicken stock to a medium sized sauce pan. Make sure there is enough room to add the chicken breasts in later.
2. Once the broth is warm, add in garlic, onion, celery, spinach, carrots and spices. In this case, because we're cooking chicken, I’ve kept the spices light to compliment the broth by using basil and parsley.
3. As all of the flavours are beginning to mix in the sauce pan, leave it to simmer on low heat for roughly 5-7 minutes. At this point begin the side vegetables dishes.
4. In a small frying pan heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil and place the chicken in the pan for about a minute each side to brown them.
5. Move the browned chicken into the sauce pan with the broth and let simmer for 20 minutes
6. Serve with vegetables and a delicious glass of wine!
Tip: Take the left over broth and use as a sauce for the chicken and veggies!