Written with love, by Sarah-Elizabeth Labelle
Okay, here’s the thing; we all cheated a little bit over Christmas. I’ll be the first to admit I reached for the bread, more than once. Over the course of the holidays I’ve easily eaten an entire cake, not to mention pie, cookies, chocolates and assorted goodies. I have no shame ladies and gentlemen...I ate the holidays.
But with a wedding around the corner, and a dress to get fitted (in a matter of weeks) I, like many of us, have decided to scale back on the goodies and try to make healthier choices. Don’t panic, I understand we still love food, and have to enjoy eating it, otherwise what’s the point? So I modified my fiancé’s delicious homemade pizza recipe to be healthier while still satisfying that craving. It’s an easy meal that can be paired with some light wine or beer and you’ll never feel like you’re cheating!
· Whole wheat tortilla/pita bread
· Pasta sauce; tomato based or alfredo sauce
· Chicken or beef
· Shredded cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 F
2. Spread sauce using the back of a large spoon, leaving about half an inch from the edge of the tortilla bread. If using minced garlic, add to the sauce at this point.
3. Add toppings while making sure to put the heavy ingredients such as chicken or beef closer to the center, so the pizza cooks evenly and doesn’t fall apart after its cut up.
4. Add a generous layer of cheese (my fiancé likes to add bacon bits at this point) .
5. Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling.
6. Let cool for 5 minute; cut and serve .
White Zinfandel, Sutter Home
Malbec, Passion of Argentina
If you're in Canada, try the following beers:
Red, Laker Red 5.5
Pilsner, Steam Whistle
If you're in the U.S., then try to find yourself some Canadian beer...just kidding :) Coors and Coors light pair fabulous with this dish!