Written with love, by Sarah-Elizabeth Labelle
I have a confession to make – I love to bargain with myself. You know the kind where you can’t actually lose, but you’ll probably never fulfill your end of the deal? For example: one more scoop of ice cream tonight, and I’ll run up and down the stairs a few extra times, or one more hour of Netflix tonight and tomorrow I’ll go to bed super early. I find I rarely keep my end of the deal, but for those few moments I feel like I’ve won the lottery..."Of course I’ll do that tomorrow, I’ll have no excuse."
Inevitably, I find the excuse. I’m the master of the excuse (which is probably why I enjoy the thrill of the bargain). I can come up with a hundred reasons why I can’t do those extra steps after all, and for those few moments a wave of guilt comes crashing down, but don’t worry, I’ll have just one more scoop of ice cream tonight.
With that being said, there is a way to break the cycle, ladies. It starts with a great meal you don’t have to make a bargain for and you even get to eat deep fried food without trading your dessert.
· 4 fish fillets
· 1 cup of flour
· 2 tbs of garlic powder, or minced garlic
· 2 tbs of paprika
· 2 tbs of salt
· 1 egg, beaten
· 1 bottle of low calorie beer (roughly 375mLs)
· 3 – 5 cups of vegetable or olive oil
1. For all you lucky people with a deep fryer, preheat up to medium. If you don’t have a deep fryer, no sweat! Just use a frying pan, fill about half way with vegetable or olive oil, and set to medium heat. Just be really careful to watch the pan the entire cooking process!
2. In a mixing bowl, add flour, garlic, paprika and salt (feel free to add in anything else you like the taste of). In a separate bowl, beat the egg.
3. Add in egg to dry mixture, mix well
4. Slowly pour in beer while stirring the mixture
5. Stir the mixture really well, remove all the lumps: You want a cup cake batter consistency here
6. Submerge fish into batter, one at a time, and then carefully place into frying pan
7. Flip the fish after roughly 3 minutes, or until the opposite side looks golden brown
8. Add some bright green veggies to your plate for a pop of colour, and a guilt free side dish