Written with love, by Paul Stone (husband of Sarah-Elizabeth Stone)
Labour day comes and goes, signalling both the end of summer and the start of everything else. My wife will tell you that Christmas is only (!) 117 days away, and that pumpkin spice everything is happening RIGHT NOW. For many, it’s time to tread back to school and face the bells for eight hours a day. For others, it signals the start of a new month, new job, new commute. Heck, maybe everything stayed the same and you just got a sweet day off. Who knows.
But one thing is for certain, Labour day marks a check-in point. It’s three quarters of the way through the year and everything seems to get busier, whether we intend it or not. As the emails pile up, it’s important to make time for your other half. If you’re busy, they are, too. That’s why it’s important to keep a handful of recipes in your back pocket that are quick, cheap, and super easy to make!
Besides, what’s more fun than finger food?
· 4 cups of spinach
· 1 ½ cups of cheese (shredded)
· 4 large tortillas
· 3 chicken breasts
· ½ cup of salsa
· ½ cup of sour cream
· ½ cup of cooking oil
· Salt and pepper
Side Salad Ingredients
· 1 avocado
· 1 red pepper
· 1 cucumber
1. Begin by preheating your oven to 350F
2. Chop up chickeninto bite sized pieces and cook in a frying pan, on medium heat until cooked most of the way through
3. While the chicken is cooking, chop up your spinach and shred the cheese
4. Mix together, in a large bowl, the spinach, cheese, salsa, sour cream salt and pepper
5. Spray down a baking tray, and place tortillas so that there about 1’ apart
6. Layer in the spinach mixture, add in as much of the cooked chicken as you desire, pace a tortilla on top, and flatten (use the back of a spatula for this)
7. Cook your quesadillas for 5-8 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the cheese has melted
8. Remove, and cut into quarters (or less if you’d like) and serve with a side salad of diced cucumbers, red peppers and avocado!