Written with love, by Sarah-Elizabeth Stone
A little part of me is always glad when January comes to an end. There are some lovely times to be had in the month, and I'm particularly sorry to say this when people are actually born in January – but good riddance! I was thrilled to look out our window and see that the sun was actually still up at 4:30pm this week, and couldn't be happier when I didn't have to scrape my car off this morning. And while I know that February can some times be the coldest month, it brings with it the hope and promise that spring is around the corner – no matter what that darn rodent predicts!
This is the perfect heary meal that will keep you warm on those cold January nights, when the wind is howling and your dreaming of nothing but spring!
1 clove garlic chopped
1 small onion chopped
2 sticks of celery chopped
1 cup baby carrots, chopped
2 large potatoes, cubed
2 cups vegetable and beef stock
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp rosemary
1 tsp parsley
1 package of stewing beef
3 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tsp all-purpose flour
1. Heat olive oil in the bottom of a large soup pot
2. Brown onions, garlic and beef in olive oil on med/high heat until meat is cooked on the outside.
3. Stir in 1 teaspoon of flour and coat beef
4. Add beef and vegetable stock and bring to boil
5. Add potatoes, carrots, celery and spices
6. Simmer on med/low heat for 1.5-2 hours
7. Add a second teaspoon of flour if stew needs to be thickened
Serve with fresh garlic bread and topped with Parmesan cheese and parsley.