Written with love, by Rebecca Ewing
It's time to embrace the flavors of fall! And it's my favorite time of the year to enjoy new flavors and textures of different combinations in comfort food stir fries that nurture your spirit and give you that much needed nutrition and vitality to be ready for your big day!
The beauty of the classic stir fry is that you can use what you probably already have and add in a little extra to give you a meal that can be enjoyed over a couple of days!
What You Need
- Your choice of protein (chicken, shrimp, steak, turkey) or keep it vegetarian and add in some pre-cooked lentils or beans (I love garbanzos!)
- Assorted Veggies (use a heaty amount of any combination of your favorites)
---> Choose dark green, leafy, hearty greens like Rainbow or green Chard, Kale (TIP: cut out the middle stem and rinse well) and if you use spinach, add into the pot last!
--->Bell Peppers (the best source of vitamin C ever! And you can buy these sliced and frozen to save time) - choose yellow or orange for more color!
---> Cherry tomatoes
---> Add in sliced purple cabbage at the very end
---> Asparagus, green beans, or broccoli - thinly sliced
---> Carrots too!
Add in color and make it pretty! And to get the most nutrients out of your meal, buy organic and as fresh as possible!
- Stir fry your protein on medium high heat with a spritz of olive oil or coconut oil until it's thoroughly cooked through and remove from the plan.
- Spritz the pan again and leave on medium high heat.
- OPTIONAL: Add in a handful of chopped onions (red, yellow, or white) until they begin to smell fragrant
- Add in your favorite hearty greens and vegetables along with a tablespoon of chopped ginger and as much garlic as you like.
- Add your protein back in and heat through.
- The last step is to stir in your favorite sauce. My "go to" sauce is 2 tbsp Braggs Liquid Aminos mixed with 2 drops of Sesame Oil, 3 drops of Sriracha Chili Sauce and 2 tbsp of water.
- Let everything summer for 1 minute
- Top with chopped cilantro
- Serve with steamed brown or wild rice.
Want to make your rice less boring?
Add in chopped ginger, garlic, and chopped cilantro and let it cook into the rice. No need to add oil or butter!
Use your stir fry for breakfast!
For an easy frittata-style breakfast, scramble your eggs with some leftover herbed rice and 1/4 cup of stir fry. Sprinkle on a little cheese and sliced avocado. That's the way to start off the day!
Bon Appetit from FlavorLA!